Indoor cycling (aka “spinning,” its trademarked name) is a cardiovascular, butt-kicking workout that takes us on a stationary ride….
Spinning® is definitely no ride in the park. It guarantees to amp up VO2 max (the rate oxygen is carried to the muscles), a sign the body is being pushed. All that pedaling will tone up muscles too, working the quads, hamstrings, glutes, calves, and core. Studies have also found that indoor cycling can help shed unwanted kg’s, while keeping impact on joints to a minimum . Now that’s a #winning combo.
Your Action Plan
Whether you’re a spin class newbie or simply brushing up on the etiquette, here are some tips for a successful joyride:
- Most Important Tip This is a workout for anyone, you can push hard or cruise…it’s up to you. It’s your workout, your pace- just turn up and go with the music and lights.
- Suit up. The body will definitely work up a sweat, so throw on clothing that moves with you (tights, t shirts or shorts etc). As for the feet, normal sneakers will work fine.
- Take a seat To guarantee a spot in the class make sure you book a bike for the term. Terms last for 10 weeks.
- Adjust your saddle. Create the perfect fit on the bike. The instructor will help you with set up. But FYI the right height on the seat is when one leg is at a 30-degree angle at the bottom of the pedal stroke. The seat should also be able to slide forward or back depending on what feels best. As for the handlebars, position them so the neck and back doesn’t strain. And strap or clip in the feet: The balls of the feet should rest on the center of the pedal and the kneecap should be aligned directly with the center, too.
- Know the positions As you progress through classes you will learn the positions, such as attack, sprint, ride easy and power.
- Insist on resistance. There are no real gears to change, but there is a resistance knob. This will control how hard the muscles need to work.
- Towel off. Keep a towel draped over the handlebars for easy access and drinking water is encouraged throughout the class
- Choose wisely. Love the club? Choose sessions with dimmed lights or a disco atmosphere.
Indoor cycling puts things in full gear with its awesome tunes, control over resistance and speed, and overall intensity. Hop on to the nearest bike and give this class a go!